Karen Cilevitz has lived in Richmond Hill since 2009, is a proud Ward 5 resident and was elected to the Ward 5 Councillor seat in 2014. She has 3 adult children who live in Ontario. A lifelong volunteer and community activist, Karen served as Chair of the DDO Defenders for 6 years, leading this grassroots community advocacy group in protecting and conserving Richmond Hill’s iconic David Dunlap Observatory Campus and surrounding lands as a public legacy.
Her dedicated work on the DDO file, and her work with residents and residents’ groups defending the Town against over-development, led Karen to run for public office. She prides herself as a steward of our natural environment, working towards conservation of our greenspaces and protection of our wildlife. An avid amateur astronomer, Karen has the distinction of having a Main Belt Asteroid named in her honour – Asteroid 108382 Karencilevitz. Karen’s commitment to her residents as Richmond Hill’s Ward 5 Councillor demonstrates her dedication to public service excellence, ensuring all Ward 5 residents receive her undivided attention as their elected representative on Council.
Council Member, Chair – Civic Precinct Task Force (2014 – 2017)
Council Member, Vice-Chair – Yonge BRT Steering Committee
Council Member – David Dunlap Observatory Park Steering Committee
Council Member – Heritage Richmond Hill Committee
Council Member – Richmond Hill People Plan Task Force
Council Member – Richmond Hill Economic Development Task Force
Council Member – Richmond Hill Business Leadership Council
Board Member – PFLAG York Region
Board Member – York Region Food Network
Board Member – Chorus York Advisory Board
Board Member – Richmond Hill Philharmonic Orchestra Advisory Board
Member – Blue Dot Richmond Hill
Member – Clean Air Council – Clean Air Partnership
Member – Municipal Councillors OMB Reform Group
- Thursday, November 2nd, 2017 at the Central Public Library, 7 to 9 pm -- Ward 5 Update by Councillor Cilevitz and the W5CEC Executive with a presentation, update and discussion regarding our vivaNext Yonge BRT (Bus Rapidway Transit) Project to be led by Ms. Leslie Pawlowski – Community Liaison and Project Specialist, York Region Rapid Transit Corporation (YRRTC)
- Sunday, November 26, 2017, 2 pm through 4 pm - Elgin Barrow Arena (Venue to be confirmed)
Ward 5 CIVIC ENGAGEMENT COMMITTEE
Ward 5 Civic Engagement Committee Executive:
- Marian Nalley – Chair
- Adam Grachnik – Vice-Chair
- Larry Green – Vice-Chair
- Maureen Capotosto- Secretary
- Hayden Cheung – Youth Outreach Director
- Member-At-Large – Enid Mills
- Member-At-Large – Richard Rupp
- Councillor Karen Cilevitz
The Ward 5 Civic Engagement Committee (W5CEC) is a unique Ward Committee overseen by Councillor Cilevitz with participation by and with Ward 5 residents. The W5CEC is comprised of the Executive Committee and residents living in Ward 5. The Committee hears and discusses matters of concern and/or interest to Ward 5, and works in a pro-active manner to reach consensus on decisions/directions to Councillor Cilevitz in the best interests of the residents of Ward 5, and in keeping with in-place policies which guide and direct our municipality as a whole. We meet as a group three times a year for informative, inclusive discussions, and host regular Ward 5 Resident Community Meetings presenting many topics for informal, engaging discussions between Councillor Cilevitz, guest speakers and presenters, and residents.
SCHEDULED 2017 WARD 5 CIVIC ENGAGEMENT COMMITTEE COMMUNITY TOWN HALL MEETINGS:
- Thursday, November 2nd, 2017 at the Central Public Library, 7 to 9 pm — Ward 5 Update by Councillor Cilevitz and the W5CEC Executive with a presentation, update and discussion regarding our vivaNext Yonge BRT (Bus Rapidway Transit) Project to be led by Ms. Leslie Pawlowski – Community Liaison and Project Specialist, York Region Rapid Transit Corporation (YRRTC)
Stay tuned for all W5CEC 2018 Community Town Hall Meetings and Events!
To contact the W5CEC Executive: email@example.com
Need Councillor Cilevitz’s assistance with a Ward 5 municipal matter?
Councillor Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct Councillor Office Line: 905.771.2510
Councillor Cell: 416.806.7582